This is my recap of the top searches for the week of May 9th – 15th, as according to Google Trends:
Mother’s Day was celebrated with an estimated 4 million searches this last week. People searched for everything from Mother’s Day images, poems, and quotes, to the Obama administration and political issues surrounding maternity leaves.
The NBA Playoffs is well underway.
So far for the East, the Cleveland Cavaliers have secured a spot in the semi-finals. The Atlanta Hawks and Washington Wizards will face each other to go against Cleveland.
For the West, it’s the Golden State Warriors versus the Memphis Grizzlies, and the Los Angeles Clippers versus the Houston Rockets.
To follow each coast’s progress, check out the official NBA Playoffs bracket.
Google celebrated the life of female Danish seismologist Inge Lehmann with an animated home page Doodle. The Doodle was of the Earth spinning around its core, representative of Lehmann’s planetary discoveries.
Two weeks ago, Nepal suffered a devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake that killed more than 8,000 people. This past week, they suffered another 7.3 earthquake that killed 125 people. However, there were more than 2,500 people injured.
Blues guitarist B.B. King was also hospitalized a couple weeks ago. Sadly, he passed away last night in his Las Vegas home at the age of 89.
- Kanye West was awarded an honorary doctorate degree from the School of Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC).
- Nick Fradiani won Season 14 of American Idol.
- “Pitch Perfect 2” came out in theaters today.
- A severe weather alert was canceled for southeast Michigan.
- There was an Amtrak train crash in Philadelphia.
- Julianne Hough beat her brother Derek Hough on this week’s “Lip Sync Battle”.