This is my recap of the top searches for the week of March 14th – 20th, as according to Google Trends:
St. Patrick’s Day
St. Patrick’s Day broke the internet this past week with nearly 6 million searches. Separate of this astounding number of direct queries, there were approximately 250,000 related searches for Irish blessings, shamrocks, leprechauns, and corned beef and cabbage.
Google has been on a roll the past two months, generating millions of searches for its artists. This past week, Google honored the 216th anniversary of artist Anna Atkins’s birth with an aqua-tinted Doodle on the home page. Anna Atkins is commonly regarded as the world’s first female photographic artist.
The Vernal Equinox solar eclipse welcomes the spring season today. Occurring at 6:45 PM EST, the sun will appear directly overhead of the Earth’s equator. This spring equinox is especially unique because is coincides with both a super moon and total solar eclipse – the last recorded solar eclipse on the March equinox being in 1662.
As predicted a few weeks ago, NBA related searches have skyrocketed per March Madness. The bracket was announced on the 18th, with second round competition beginning the 19th. Check out the official NCAA Division Bracket to keep track of which teams are making the cut.
Bruce Jenner made search rank again, though not directly. There is still plenty of speculation surrounding gender identity, with recent statements being made by the Jenners in response to continuing rumors. However, the big news of the week is Jenner’s son Brandon announcing that he and his wife are expecting.
Dancing with the Stars
About two weeks ago, “Dancing with the Stars” announced their Season 20 lineup. After premiering March 16th on ABC, it can be expected there will be countless searches and posts tagged #DWTS over the next couple of months.
- “Empire” concluded its first season with an impressive finale episode.
- Karrueche Tran is scheduled for an OWN interview to discuss recent developments in her relationship with Chris Brown.
- Militants claimed a museum attack in Tunisia.
- There was a recall of 242,000 cases of Kraft mac and cheese.
- Justin Bieber was roasted on Comedy Central.
- Dairy Queen celebrated its 75th anniversary with free ice cream.
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu won the Israeli election.