This is my recap of the top searches for the week of January 30th – February 6th, as according to Google Trends:
Celebrity Deaths & Gossip
The week began with unfortunate accusations against “Hills” star Heidi Montag’s father. Heidi’s father, Bill Montag, was arrested for alleged sexual abuse of a 13-year-old girl. According to authorities, the abuse went on for years – though according to Heidi, sister Holly, and husband Spencer Pratt, all allegations are false.
More criminal accusations continued into the week, with Suge Knight pleading guilty on Tuesday to murder charges in a fatal hit-and-run incident. Beloved Power Ranger’s star Ricardo Medina Jr. was arrested for murdering his roommate on Sunday, though no charges have been filed for the time being. Also, tackle and defensive end Warren Sapp was fired by the NFL Network and charged on Monday with soliciting a prostitute.
Prayers and thoughts go out to the families of Bobbi Kristina Brown and The Jacka. The famous Bay Area rapper, The Jacka, was shot and killed in East Oakland on Monday night. On Wednesday, doctors told the family of 21-year-old Bobbi Kristina that nothing more could be done, after she was found unresponsive in her home over the weekend.
Super Bowl Sunday
On a more positive note, congratulations to the New England Patriots for winning the 2015 Super Bowl! Tom Brady led his team to an impressive last-minute victory over the Seattle Seahawks during the 49th championship game, despite recent rumors regarding the quarterback’s lack of integrity.
Idina Menzel joined the Seahawks in their loss with her National Anthem flop, while Katy Perry rose to the occasion with her fantastic halftime performance. However, puppies were the real winner this year.
- Bruce Jenner’s gender identity was questioned.
- Jessica Biel announced being pregnant with Justin Timberlake’s child.
- Harper Lee announced the upcoming summer publication of her sequel/prequel to “To Kill a Mockingbird”, entitled “Go Set a Watchman”.
- A Taiwanese plane crashed in the Taipei river.
- A murder-suicide shooting occurred at the University of South Carolina.
- An ex-student was charged for filming porn in Oregon State University’s library.
- The “Saved by the Bell” cast was reunited on The Tonight Show by Jimmy Fallon.
- Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, predicting six more weeks of winter.
- The outbreak of measles continues to concern citizens.
- Brian Williams fubared his Iraq story.
- Ashley Graham made history as the first plus-size model to appear in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.
- Tiger Woods’ career is reportedly ending.