This is my recap of the top searches for the week of April 25th – May 1st, as according to Google Trends:
The internet mourned the death of Freddie Gray this week with an estimated 2 million searches. Second to that were searches regarding the Baltimore riots.
Freddie passed away after a week of hospitalization. Gray’s family has spoken out, claiming that his voice box was crushed and his neck was snapped.
There have been many questions raised surrounding the use of force by the police officers arrested for his death, especially with regards to whether or not the arrest was justified in the first place. It remains to be seen whether the police officers will be held liable; it is likely this case will be trending for quite some time.
A devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake shook Nepal this week. The earthquake was centered less than 50 miles from Kathmandu. Estimated tallies of 7,000 lives have been lost, with many injured and in critical care as well.
To learn how you can help victims, check out this CNN article which provides information on various relief organizations.
- Preparations for the 141st Kentucky Derby took place.
- Ben E. King, singer of “Stand by Me”, passed away at age 76.
- B.B. King is in hospice, currently battling health problems.
- Kate Middleton gave birth to a baby girl.
- The 2015 NFL draft happened.
- Mother’s Day is on May 10th.