In June of 2014, Google launched Dynamic Remarketing for online retailers to show a more advanced product advertisement to their past visitors. With this feature advertisers can show past visitors product ads based on pages or specific actions people take on their website.
How to Set Up Google AdWords Dynamic Remarketing Ads:
What you’ll need to get started:
- Regularly Updated Product Feed to Google Merchant Center
- Linked Google Merchant Center & AdWords Account
- Webmaster Skills
- Patience & a “can do” attitude!
Step 1: Install the Dynamic Remarketing Tag on every page of your site.
This will automatically pull the product id’s, images, and other relevant information for the dynamic advertisements.
- Generate tag in “Audiences” section of your Shared Library in AdWords.
- Variables to include in Tag: Product Page, Shopping Cart Page, Purchase Page, and General Site Visit.
- Recommended: Add custom parameters such as page type and product ID to show ads with specific products a visitor has clicked on.
Step 2: Download the Tag Assistant (by Google) Chrome extension to make sure the Dynamic Remarketing tag is properly installed on each page.
- Check to make sure that the Audience is being populated with people picked up from the Dynamic Remarketing Tag.
- Make sure custom parameters are being analysed.
- Check and correct any errors.
Step 3: Set-Up your Google Remarketing Campaign
- Click +Campaign and in the drop down menu, then click “Display Network Only”. On the next page name your campaign, check “Buy on your website” as your marketing objective, select you bid and budget amount for your campaign, then click “save and continue”
- That will take you to the “Create an Ad Group” Page. In the “Choose how you target ads” section, select “Interests & remarketing”. In the first drop-down menu, “Select a Category”, choose “Remarketing lists”. Next click on “Dynamic Remarketing Ads” then check off the box labeled “Use dynamic remarketing ads”. From here you will have to choose your business type. If your business type is not available, select “Other(custom option)”. Then click on the “Set up remarketing” button that pops up.
- When you select “Set up remarketing”, instructions will pop up to help you:
- Upload Product Feed (if you haven’t already*)
- Add Remarketing Tag Your Site (if you haven’t already*)
- Decide who you want to remarket to.
Step 4: Set-Up your Dynamic Remarketing Advertisements
Google has made made this step very user-friendly and gives you Ad templates in the Ad Gallery.
- Click +Ad in an Ad Group of you Dynamic Remarketing Campaign.
- Choose Ad Gallery and then select Dynamic Ads.
- Choose either a Text or Image Ads.
- If you choose Image Ads go to Layouts to select your desired Ad look-and-feel.
- Click Save and Preview
Step 5: Consider using a Product Filter to Advertise only certain Products.
In the “Settings Tab” of your Dynamic Remarekting Campaign you will see a “Product Filter”. If you turn on the product filter you can choose to only spend your budget advertising products you’ve labeled, by brand, by product type and more options that allow you to more accurately market your products. Google recommends that you leave this feature off.
Step 6: Keep an Eye on Your Ads, Data Feed, Conversions, and Spend to Maximize Return-On-Ad-Spend
Your advertisements will be under review for a day or two to make sure they follow policy. In order for your Ads to show your data feed must be up-to-date and correct. Finally keeping an eye on your conversions and Ad spend will allow you to optimize your campaigns and testing for better opportunities.