External linking is great to improve your website’s SEO. External links are known as a link outside or your specific domain. Search engines utilize these types of links to help determine the relevancy and trust level of a site. Links going to relevant content from other trusted sites help search engines believe your domain has good content and they can help make your site more popular.
Good Practices for External Links
- One tip to optimize your external links are to keep your links relevant. Make sure your links are updated and relevant to the current times.
- Another way to optimize is to link to popular sites with similar topics as yours. By linking to other relevant sites, you allow search engines to relate your site to others and understand your content and you will build trust.
- Keep your anchor text appropriate to the link.
- Avoid link spamming for the best optimization. This helps create a network of topics your domain is included in. In order to decrease bounce rate from your site always have external links open in a new tab.
- Use domain authority to estimate the impact of your external links. Also check out our article on internal linking to increase your domain’s link juice.
While links on relevant sites can improve your SEO, sometimes external links can be negative. Learn how to take care of spammy referrals by reading our article on disavowing backlinks