Utilizing comparison shopping engine (CSE) management can be the launch pad to success for your online business.
CSEs such as Google Shopping, Nextag, Shopzilla, Pricegrabber, and Become.com are more relevant to Ecommerce now than ever before. This is because consumers are browsing products, comparing prices, and reading reviews on multiple CSEs before committing to purchases.
Here are a few of the benefits of jumping on board with CSEs:
- Many consumers use CSEs because they can easily do side-by-side comparisons from multiple retailers at one time. Businesses must harness them in order to remain competitive.
- A business can gain new customers, audiences, and revenue.
- CSEs are based on a cost-per-click model, which means that you set a bid that you pay-per-click on your product.
- Businesses control which of their products gain the most visibility through bids.
- By increasing your bids on products with the highest return, best sellers, etc. you can control product exposure. This allows for a versatile marketing plan.
- There are no commission-based fees.
- This is one aspect that set CSEs apart from marketplaces.
- Small, medium, or large businesses can compete fairly alongside each other.
- Through CSEs you can not only acquire new customers, but you can then re-market to them.
Some of the various faces of CSEs:
Of course, CSEs do not come without challenges, especially if your business is featured on several of them. This is why it’s beneficial to have professional assistance in managing your various CSEs.
Some of the challenges of CSE management include:
- Managing bids and budgets appropriately in order to see the highest return on ad spend (ROAS).
- Understanding the process, rules, and data requirements of each CSE.
- Frequently refreshing product data feeds to remain current.
- Correctly optimizing your data feed for the appropriate keywords and product descriptors.
That being said, the benefits of CSEs by far outweigh the negatives.
Our team manages clients ranging from mom-and-pop style businesses to big international retailers, and each one has seen growth and high return on ad spend from their participation in CSEs. For more information, please refer to our case studies on CSE management.
Below are some graphs that demonstrate CSE growth experienced by a few of our clients.
A client who had not used CSEs before working with our team. These are their Google Shopping visits (dark blue) and transactions (light blue) over the course of 5 months.
A client who has seen exponential growth after only three months of working with our team. This is their revenue (light blue) and return on ad spend (dark blue) after only three months in Google Shopping.