A Better PLA Management Experience…
Google just announced a new Product Listing Ads campaign type called ‘Shopping Campaigns‘ in order to offer a more retail centric management interface for Product Listing Ads.
They plan to roll it out to all AdWords accounts by early 2014.
Google asserts that the new campaign type will better enable merchants to…
- Manage product data, bids & product groupings right from the AdWords interface. This is basically an integration of the Google Merchant Center into the AdWords interface.
- Measure performance on a product by product basis. Essentially offering more granular product data than was previously available in the AdWords interface.
- Find opportunities for growth through competitive analysis. Simply put, ‘Shopping Campaigns’ will offer the same types of competitive data to PLA advertisers as is currently available to AdWords Text Ad advertisers. These include Estimated First Page Bid, Estimated Max CPC and more.
Questions From The Vertical Rail Team…
- Does the addition of custom product label generation within AdWords mean that the adwords_labels attribute is on the way out?
- Will the new campaign automatically adjust and target new products that are submitted to the Google Merchant Center?
- Will it pause or delete old product groupings?
The answers to these questions will become apparent soon as we begin using Shopping Campaigns in beta.
While the true value of this new campaign type will become more clear after the public rollout in 2014, one thing is for sure…
A data management interface is only as good as the data that goes in it. No matter how user friendly PLA management becomes with Shopping Campaigns…
What are your thoughts on the new Shopping Campaigns? Will it make life easier and more streamlined for PLA advertisers and managers? Or will it just make life more complicated for merchants whose product data feeds are unorganized and messy in the first place?
Let us know in the comments below or tweet at us @verticalrail!