How to Link A Google Plus Page & YouTube Channel

Connecting Google To YouTube & Attaining “GoogTube Plus”

Disclaimer: this strategy has become invalid for many users as YouTube has ‘updated’ and removed many of the outlined options.

Watch to see how to take an existing YouTube Channel that is currently linked to a Google+ Profile and link it to your Google Plus business Page while not losing any videos or data.

Why Link Your Business’s YouTube Channel to a Google+ Page

As YouTube becomes a stronger marketing tool and an even stronger SEO ranking factor for online businesses, it is increasingly important that your business’s YouTube Channel is clearly & properly linked to not only your company website, but your Google+ business Page. When organized and linked correctly, I call it, “GoogTube Plus”.

Google+ Profile vs. Google+ Page vs. YouTube Channel

The linkable account types of concern are:

• Google+ Profile
  • Google+ Business Page
  • YouTube Channels

If you are a brand or a business, you belong on a Google+ PAGE and not a Google+ Profile. A profile must be a real person with a first and last name. Google is surprisingly good at knowing and will go as far as suspending your Google+ profile until you adjust this. Before going forward, make sure your profile is a real person and not a duplicate of your business page.

GoogTubePlus

If This is Happening to You, I’m Here to Help.

When you create a Google+ Page from your Google+ Profile and Google creates an accompanying YouTube channel that will be linked to your Google+ business Page separate from the YouTube channel linked with your personal profile. Worse still, if you want to link your existing YouTube account (with all of your business’s videos) to your business Google+ Page, you won’t be given the option because Google sees that your Google+ business Page already has a YouTube Channel.

Confused? Ask me questions about how to clean up your GoogTube+ tangled web of accounts in the comments section below.

Categories

Newsletter Sign-up

Knowledge Base Articles

Reader Interactions

Comments

1. Ann says

Hi, maybe you can help me. I have a google + profile for many years and it is connected with my youtube channel. Now I register google+ page for company (the same gmail account). I watched your video and try to do step by step. When I click at Youtube settings and I want to return the name of the channel there is nothing like that. Under my e-mail adress there is only advanced options. I can’t delete the connection. Can you help me?

• Michael Cestaro says

Hi Ann,

Great question. You’ll need to Disconnect/change the channel name on the YouTube Channel attached to your profile first and THEN delete the channel attached to your page. You’ll see this option under advanced settings for your profile’s YouTube Channel.

2. Alex_dlc says

Hi Michael. I’m not a very experienced Youtube/Google+ user and honestly it all seems kinda confusing. I have had my Youtube account for a bunch of years, and when I created it, I didnt really choose a good name (I was young and put ’69’ on it)

I would love to be able to change that name, but I think its not possible. I thought about deleting the account and starting a new one but that would mean I would loose all my favorited videos, all my history…. And I dont want to lose all that.

I have a Google+ profile with my full name and a page with my username (without the ’69’) Im wondering what happens if I link my channel with my page. will the ’69’ be visible anywhere? only on the url? or will it disappear completely? I hope it does disappear.

• Michael Cestaro says

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the question – and a good one, too! This is a classic situation, so I’m sure you’re not alone. The good news is once you’ve linked a Google+ page to a YouTube channel, there is no visibility to the attached Google+ profile. You’re Plus profile will be anonymous. You don’t need to lose your YouTube data. If you link your YouTube Channel to your Google Plus Page (without the 69), the YouTube channel will assume the name and identity of that Google Page while the 69 will remain anonymous with your Google Plus Profile. (which should be changed to your actual name and not a nickname).

I hope this helps answer your question. Happy GoogTubePlus’ing!

3. Hannah Burnworth says

Hello,
    I am having trouble connecting my company’s existing YouTube channel (which automatically connected to a Google+ page and is managed by our dummy gmail account) to our business Google+ Page/ Google Places account. I watched your video but I am really confused. I made my own personal Gmail account a manager of the automatically created Google+ page, but I am unsure of where to go from there. I thought that doing this would make me a manager of the YouTube account but it is only letting me switch between accounts and not perform the steps that you lay out in your video (which require the YouTube account being linked to a personal account, hence why I tried to link my personal account). Any help/info would be much appreciated. As you state in your article, SEO is paramount and so keeping the original channel views/records is very important. Please let me know if I need to explain anything more. Thank you so much!

• Michael Cestaro says

Hi Hannah,

Thank you for your question! It seems your situation is a little different than where this walk-thru starts off. By making your personal account a manager of the + page, does not give you the ability to link to it or the associated YouTube channel. If I understand correctly, you’re trying to switch between Google accounts, where in this video I’m addressing switching between a page and a profile under the same account.